Sunday, February 8, 2009

Homina, homina, homina...



The San Francisco Old-Time and Bluegrass Festival is on this week. Halima and I went to one of the shows last night (this one). It was pretty fantastic to get some of that 'old lonesome' sound in my ears after so long away from the south. There was even a guy there doing a sort of shuffly clog-dance thing right in front of the stage that reminded me of how people back in Tallahassee used to get down to a little bit-o-plucking when the mood took them. After the show we were able to thank a few of the musicians for coming down, and they were all polite and enthusiastic (particularly the bass player for the Clampitt Family. She was super-cute). We plan on going to see a few more shows while the festival's on, but what I'm more hopeful for is meeting a few musicians to play with on a regular basis. Maybe I'll go to one of the 'jams' that are set up this week.

After the show we went to Grubsteak, the local Portuguese-American diner that's stolen my gastronomic heart away. We've been avoiding that place recently in favor of cheeper though less delicious and likely-to-kill-you fare, but the siren of linguica and Portuguese Steak was too much for us last night. As we were leaving a whole crew of frat guys and their sorority dupes staggered in, hooting and carrying on in that singularly banal and annoying 'Greek' way. The waiters looked dismayed, and I felt a pang of regret in my chest as well; every cool little nook blows up at some point. What was your private little slice of heaven yesterday catches the ear of the masses today and will be the 'hip spot' tomorrow. The first time Halima and I ate at Grubsteak, in fact, I overheard the good looking couple sitting next to us say, "Man this place is great. I hope the hipsters never hear about it." Well, my friend, rust never sleeps.

Underneath this paragraph you'll see a couple of pictures; the first is the cabin frames for the Plastiki as they were just after I completed them near Christmas. The second picture is Eva crouching near the doorway of the newly covered cabin mold itself. Yay! We've come so far! Now we're starting to work with foams and PET panels to get the actual construction of the cabin skin going, and while that's underway Eva and I have been busily working away on trouble-shooting the bottle-mounting method. I've worked out how to fit the bottles in a nice, laminar fashion, and Eva and I are now trying to translate my full-size tinkering into a workable template for cutting foam panels to size. It's a challenging drafting/building puzzle and very exciting (if you're a nerd like me it is, anyway).





Later this month is my birthday and the San Francisco Ocean Film Festival besides! I'm going to go to Program #3 - Sharks (pft, of course...), and hope to see long, loving footage of those majestic and terrible fish. There's a panel discussion of shark issues after the films show, and you can bet the farm that I'll be there come Hell or high water. Oh, fuck - I love sharks.

No comments: